Visitors

Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

WOW! That's what I have to say! I thought Mother's Day would be sad knowing that my children were going to their paternal Grandparent's house for Mother's Day dinner.
My daughter asked if I could make lunch as opposed to the dinner that I really wanted to prepare. I agreed (reluctantly thinking my children would eat and run to get to Grandma's) and on Saturday went to Coscos' to plan the meal. Mr. Man was trying to get me to purchase items that would require no prep-work so I could sit and relax. "And do what?" I asked him. "Relax" he said. I blinked as though he were speaking a foreign language. He told me I do too much, and I began to cry. I told him I don't know what to do if I'm not doing something! And wow! Did I realize what a control-freak I really am at that moment. I want to do it all! I want it completely my way. I used to joke about it, but didn't realize how true it really is.

Back home, my daughter and I decided to invite EuroTrashGirl over for our Mother's Day festivities since her children will not return home to her until evening.

After cleaning the house and shopping and buying new plates, table clothes, serving dishes, and preparing the food (and being exhausted), my Mother's Day Mood had shifted to one of happiness and joy from all the planning and decision-making!

On Mother's Day, my daughter went to pick up 2 of my son's (my step-son had to work). My mother arrived first. EuroTrashGirl and my youngest son and daughter came at the same time. My oldest couldn't come because of a stiff neck. I could see the concern for him my daughter had when she told me. I was happy to see my youngest since he seldom comes over, and of course having my daughter home after being gone for 3 years was a joy. We sat and talked while Mr. Man fired up the grill and put the monsterous burgers and the 4-cheese sausages on the grill. My mom made marinated boneless chicken thighs. There was enough food for an additional 6 people. Everyone ate and enjoyed themselves. I had purchased a book called, .Every Mom Should Have a Book Like This"" with various quotes from famous people regarding their love for their mothers. I gave that and a beautiful box filled with gourmet cookies. We are also going to the Opera on Friday to see Madame Butterfly.

My daughter gave her Grandma, EuroTrashGirl and myself a very pretty painted pot with 3 different types of flowers in it. My Mom gave me pretty pink flowers with pink roses and EuroTrashGirl gave me a gorgeous arrangement of exotic flowers.

I then received the icing on the cake! My daughter and my sons each painted me a different style of glass with something that was meaningful on it. My youngest gave me a wine glass with a rainbow painted around it. On the foot of the glass, he painted the sun, the moon, the stars and the rainbow... the symbols for each of my genetic children. I was moved near tears! The next gift I opened was a martini glass with a penguin painted on it, with snow falling in the background and the snow drifts on the stem and foot of the glass. Wow! My son loves penguins and I've always loved them as well. The last gift came from my daughter. A wine goblet painted with a beautiful red flower from the top of the stem to midway up the goblet. Happy Mother's Day was painted on it and the stem was elaborately finished with beading and celestial symbols.

I was impressed. I knew that other than not seeing 2 of my boys that day (they both did call), I was and am the luckiest mother in the world!

Mom, I love you! EuroTrashGirl, thank you for being a part of a wonderful day in my family! Mr. Man, thank you for making sure I didn't go nuts over-over planning, and for cooking on the grill. Sunshine, & Rainbow thank you for a very memorable Momma's Day!

Oh Yeah! And we played a game of Compatability! I was partnered with EuroTrashGirl, Mr. Man was partnered with my Mom, and my children were partnered together. It's a really cool game about finding out how much you know about your partner by trying to figure out which images they attribute to the chosen topic. I love it!

No comments: